Caffeine is the most widely used pharmacologically active compound in the world, with coffee consumption averaging 5 cups per week per person around the globe. Following are the caffeine contents for a selection of common beverages.
- Starbucks Grande – 16 oz. cup: 259mg
- Full Throttle – 16 oz. can: 144mg
- Black coffee – 8 oz. cup: 115-175mg drip, 80-135mg brewed, 65-100mg instant
- Red Bull – 8.2 oz. can: 80mg
- Mountain Dew – 12 oz. can: 55mg
- Diet Coke – 12 oz. can: 45mg
- Dr Pepper – 12 oz. can: 41mg
- Pepsi-Cola – 12 oz. can: 37mg
- Classic Coke – 12 oz. can: 34mg
- Black tea – 8 oz. cup: 40-60mg brewed, 30mg instant
- Hot cocoa – 8 oz. cup: 14mg
- Decaf coffee – 8 oz. cup: 2-4mg
Sources: American Beverage Association, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, MayoClinic.com, and others.